Monday, April 27, 2009

Oh No.

When I first read the introduction to this book, my heart crashed into my stomach a little, especially at this line: "In humorous and in deeply serious moments, then, Hawthorne depicts national fantasy as fundamental to the political and everyday life of Americans, whose "Americanness" is as central to their sense of entitlement and desire as any family name and tradition and sensation itself might be" (4). It reminded me of the surge of nationalism post-9/11 caused throughout America, which, at first, was expected and wanted. America, on the whole, was more forgiving of itself and we were, more or less, for a time, "united". However, our nationalism grew into something ugly, in my mind. I'll hedge away from any political debate or opinion here, but the last administration's efforts to raise awareness of "Americanness" had me disgusted and confused about the ever-evolving picture of what it means to be American, and what the government tried to shape us in, and what shape we were left in.

"United We Stand" was America's slogan for emerging from a disaster, yet the media around that slogan twisted it to be the slogan for being American. Suddenly, the very idea of Americanness changed, like it has before and will do so again. When this country began, to be American meant different things, like it does today. But those were centered around the true idea of freedom, that is, not being ruled by a monarch or another country an ocean away. People fled here to escape persecution, social and religious. Our Americanness was written down on paper, in the Constitution.

Nowadays, I feel like though our country has aged, has settled, has been made up by cultures around the world, the government and media still has the sway to create the picture of a true American. How may we come up with our own ideas and own solutions to why we are American when people try to hand us plates and try to force feed their own ideas?

I believe that this may be straying from Berlant's path here, but in my everyday, I do not always think about my nation. I know I am lucky to live here as compared to other places, but I do not think that it is essential to my everyday to think about what I can do to be a better American. It seems one can shortcut that problem by substituting "person" for "American". Perhaps that will fix our identity crisis.

Jennie Z

No comments:

Post a Comment